Lent Day 1!
Posted by Stan Rodda
As a heads up, I probably won’t blog every single day for 46 days. Let’s just go ahead and set that expectation up front. If I tried that, I’d probably go crazy.
Oh, come on. Not that crazy!
However, I wanted to make note of a couple of things about my first day without social media.
1) Only one person sent me a txt to ask if I was going crazy or not. Honestly, I’m hurt. I really don’t know if this is a good or bad thing. Oh well. Thanks for the txt to check up on me, Tom.
2) “Your focus needs more focus,” a line from the newer “Karate Kid” movie (I like the original better). In an effort to have more focus, I have a new office area in my bedroom. So today, armed with my new whiteboard of knowledge and wisdom, calendar, new notepad, laptop (minus social media) and a few other goodies, I set out for the day. Well, not to be proud but, I conquered today like Arthur conquered the sword in the stone. Like buttah! =) Don’t tell my boss. I don’t want to get his expectations up.
3) By the time I deleted bookmark folders, apps on my phone and even my new Facebook browser (Rockmelt), I realized how much time I spend on social media. Day one wasn’t even over and I was already disgusted with myself. I enjoy social media, but need to be more disciplined with it. I posted about that awhile back as well.
4) When you replace your social media time with time with God, you will be surprised how much of the book of Deuteronomy you can read.
5) This is obviously a spiritual journey for me. You might not do Lent, might not care about it and it might just not be your thing. But today was great for me. Simply replacing time on Facebook with time being focused on God and realigning myself with Him, was amazing. I was very aware of God’s presence in my life today. Sometimes, I get so wrapped up with the things I think are important, that I drown out what’s most important. I hope all 46 days are like this.
1 down, 45 to go. This is going to be one cool journey.